Kennin-ji

  • Address: 584 Komatsu-chō, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto Prefecture ( rough location)
  • Founder: Minamotono Yoriie
  • Founded: 1202

A temple of Rinzai Sect, Kenninji School. Kōdai-ji and Hōkan-ji with its Yasaka-no-tou (pagoda of Yasaka) are the branches of this temples. We can see the copy of the Fūjin and Raijin (the god of the wind and the god of thunder) of Tawaraya Sōtatsu.






The entrance gate at the south end of "Hanamikōji-dōri" Street




The entrance gate seen from the inside of the temple
(Hanamikōji-dōri stretches from here to the north)




The Belfry "Darani-no-kane" (left-hand side) and "Hattō", lecture hall




"Honbō", chief priest's residence




The garden in front of the residence of the chief priest




The samaras of maple




Lecture Hall - 1




Lecture Hall - 2




Lecture Hall - 3
"Katōmado", bell-shaped windows








Back to Photo Menu