Tenryū-ji

  • 68 Susukinobaba-chō, Tenryūji, Saga, Ukyō-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto Prefecture ( rough location)
  • Founder: Ashikaga Takauji
  • Founded: 1345

The head temple of Rinzai Sect, Tenryūji School. Having close relationships with the Ashikaga Shogunate and the imperial families and with its grandeur, this temple has been held in high esteem. The garden, incorporating the scenery of Arashiyama (Mount Arashi), was designed by Musō Soseki, one of the masterpieces of Japanese gardens. This garden amuses us whenever we visit with its appearances full of variety.






"Kuri", the kitchen of Zen temples




The Grand "Hōjō", the residence of the chief priest and the Garden "Sōgenchi"




Stone arrangements on the edge of Sōgenchi - 1




Stone arrangements on the edge of Sōgenchi - 2




Stone arrangements on the edge of Sōgenchi - 3




Stone arrangements on the edge of Sōgenchi - 4
















The small "Hōjō" with a hanging scroll depicting Bodhidharma




Weeping cherries in full bloom




"Ashibi", Pieris japonica
















Back to Photo Menu